Sunday, June 22, 2008

Long Train Running

During this past week's Studio!, when Terry and I were playing just about every 70's afro-latin disco-rock song that we owned, I realized how much I loved the Traks 1982 cover version of The Doobie Brothers 1973 classic "Long Train Running". This version takes the funky gritty classic, and gives it a bit of a cosmic vibe by adding a slight spacey feel, especially when it comes to the songs lead vocals as well as including some nice afro-latin flavored percussion work. I've heard a few different versions of the song, obviously The Doobie Brothers, as well as a Prins Thomas' edit of Panama II's version which is also really good, however, I have to say that I tend to enjoy Traks version the best. Overall, it's a tough song to not do well, that being said there probably is some aweful Doobie Brother cover band out there that could probably challenge that theory. Regardless, Traks isn't one of them. Enjoy!

Traks - Long Train Running